Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Times, they are a changin'

Times, they are a changin'

It is true... I am alive and after almost 3 years, I have returned.  Some things have changed in my life and some haven't.  Let's break them down for you. 

Things that haven't changed:

  • Still vegan (as if that were ever any question)
  • Still have a wonderfully vegan hubby

Things that have changed:

  • Location, Location, Location!
         I started my vegan journey with a many changes in my life.  I had just moved to Florida away from family and friends and was on a journey of discovery of self.  Becoming a vegan was the first step into finding my true self.  I loved all the experiences I had in Florida and met some great new friends, but fate brought us back to our home state of Ohio closer to family, so we landed in Central Ohio for the last three years.  Guess I kept my previous posts rather impersonal. 
  • Gluten-Free AND vegan?
       
    In trying to find answers to health issues that partially sent me to Florida in the first place, I thought I'd give a new doctor a go recently that is both a MD and specializes in alternative medicine.  We're still unsure of the cause of my pain, but they also diagnosed me with celiac disease and it seems there's no getting around it, despite it's lack of effect on my pain.  So, expect many failed attempts at gluten free and vegan cooking to come, but hopefully I'll get the hang of it.  I've come a long way from my first posts with vegan cooking and this is just another adventure. 
  • Personality?  You have one of those?
       
    I started this blog much like I started all my endeavors, trying to keep a professional attitude and tone and hiding who it is I truly was.  Maybe I was ashamed, didn't want anyone to dislike my posts because of who I was behind the blog.  Another big step on this "find yourself" journey was taking teacher training to become a yoga instructor. I went to learn to help keep myself and others' bodies feeling great, but I left with a completely new view of myself and life. 
  • Fit & Healthy Yogi & more!
       
    As you just read (if you're reading all these crazy bullet points), I took myself on the path to become a yogi and I am now a 200 hr RYT certified yoga instructor.  I love exercising, I truly do.  I just wish I had more time in the day!  We all have that struggle in a busy world, but we have to find ways to fit it in. I hope to start to incorporate more yoga and fitness here, maybe even some videos if I can get rid of my fear of being in front of the camera.   Your body is your temple: worship it!
  • I love anime! ... and manga!  ...and comics!
       
    One of the things that brought me back to self is a return to comics.  I no longer knew who I was at all when I moved back to Ohio.  I had taken a path towards a lifelong dream of photography while I was in Florida, but when I moved back, it just didn't feel right anymore.  I lost all passion for it for years.  A few friends had brought me back to talking about comics.  I had loved Batman since I watched Batman: The Animated Series as a kid and my cousin Dave would buy me comics every week.  So, I gave it a shot and my inner self went soaring!  I was lacking imagination in my life, lacking fantasy, lacking... fun.  Shortly after a friend introduced me to the Bleach anime and I fell even further.  Now you could say I am anime/manga/comics addict and I can't get enough.  I have never felt so whole since I started enjoying these things, enjoying myself, my imagination, my inner child, my inner artist.
  • Writing, and Art, and Photography - Oh my!
       
    All of the journeys above have let me back to one place - art of all forms.  Even when photography was a career, I never quite grasped it as an art form.  Coming back to the above mentioned comics, I began to write again.  I wrote a comic.  Still working on finding an artist, which my procrastination and lack of funds has inhibited for the last year, but I was proud.  In all the years I have tried to write creatively, I hid it away from the world- it was never good enough.  I still struggle with that with other projects I am currently working on, but with my comic, I am proud.  It felt right.  Along the way I also tried to draw, something I told myself I was terrible at since the eighth grade or maybe even before that.  Guess what?  It wasn't too bad.  I am no Jim Lee or Masashi Kishimoto, but I am slowly progressing and I really enjoy it.  That is what matters - loving what you do.  Photography, I am working on a slow road to recovery to regain my appreciation and love of the craft, but, again, that is the journey.

So what now?? 

With all these changes, I feel as if I should start a new blog.  A blog with a new name for my new identity, my true self; a blog that will encompass more of or all the things I have mentioned above that will no longer be run by a drone.  This is where you come in: I need help with a name and a new place to host my blog that encourages conversation.  I may keep my art blog separate (I occasionally post on a Tumblr at britnolli.tumblr.com) and leave the new blog for food & fitness.  What are your thoughts?  I'd love to hear from you in the comments or contact me on Twitter @RockinVegan.  Hope to hear from you.  I missed you all!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete